top of page
  • uo21230

Cardiff Met 2s 15-22 UBRFC Maroons: Match Report

A cagey game of attrition today unfolded between Cardiff Met 2's and the Maroons in the Welsh capital, with very changeable weather conditions throughout the 80 minutes.

The Maroons started strong and fast, with disciplined pod play from the forwards pulling the Cardiff Met defence in tight, allowing centre Jake Williams to dive over the whitewash in the far corner for the first score of the afternoon in the 14th minute. A missed conversion, but a strong start for the Maroons. 0-5.

6 minutes later, the forwards again were throwing themselves into collisions to attempt to break the host's staunch defence of their line, this time the gap opening up directly under the posts, and loosehead prop Teddy Gibson opened his account for the afternoon. Finlay Campbell added the extras, and it was 0-12 in the Maroon's favour with 20 minutes gone.

The rest of the first half was fiercely contested between the two teams, with some defensive mistakes from the Maroons allowing Cardiff Met an unconverted try and a penalty. 8-12 at the half-time whistle. Some very encouraging play from UBRFC throughout the half, but areas that also needed some improvement to secure a victory.

The early period of the second half saw some vital turnovers won by UBRFC, and Finlay Campbell provided an attacking platform for the Maroons with a 50/22 setting up the first meaningful attack of the half from UBRFC. A herculean effort from the forwards drove the far bigger Cardiff Met pack over their own line, and Toby Wilcox was able to dot the ball down for the opening score of the second half, but unfortunately the conversion was wide. 56 minutes played, 8-17 the score.

The hosts launched a flurry of attacks but the Maroons stood strong and drove each one back, having to wait patiently until the 72nd minute to have their next true scoring opportunity. Tom Harney ripping the ball out from the breakdown launched a counter attack which resulted in a UBRFC penalty after a late hit on Henry Bedson. Another kick to the corner, and another lineout drive saw the Maroons cruise over the Cardiff Met line and Teddy Gibson scoring his second of the afternoon. Another missed conversion meant the score sat at 8-22 with little time left for Cardiff Met to get something out of the game.

Unfortunately, the Maroon's defence could not sustain the pressure from Cardiff Met, who added a final converted try in the 78th minute to bring the score to 15-22.

The full time whistle blew following a missed penalty from UBRFC's Henry Bedson, which was won by Finlay Campbell after a great jackal over the ball.

Full time, 15-22, and a win for the Maroons away from home gives them good momentum going into the rest of the BUCS season.

Man of the Match was awarded to Finlay Campbell for his excellent leading of the defence and managing field position in the difficult conditions.

The Maroons now look towards next week's fixture and the first Wednesday Night Lights of the season, against Hartpury 2's at Coombe Dingle, kick off 7:45pm.

58 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page